Description: Data on inpatient antibiotic stewardship practices in U.S. acute care hospitals.
Dates: 2014-2017 (updated February 2019)
Source: CDC’s National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN)
Data is gathered on the 7 Core Elements of Hospital Antibiotic Stewardship Programs.
1. Leadership Commitment: Dedicating necessary human, financial and IT resources.
2. Accountability: Appointing a single leader responsible for program outcomes.
3. Drug Expertise: Appointing a single pharmacist leader responsible for working to improve antibiotic use.
4. Action: Implementing at least one recommended action.
5. Tracking: Monitoring antibiotic prescribing and resistance patterns.
6. Reporting: Regular reporting information on antibiotic use and resistance to doctors, nurses and relevant staff.
7. Education: Educating clinicians about resistance and optimal prescribing.
To receive a monthly update highlighting our recent work to prevent infectious disease, enter your email address:
CDC is the nation's health protection agency, working 24/7 to protect America from health and safety threats, both foreign and domestic. CDC increases the health security of our nation.Find out how